Friday, October 3, 2008

It's getting colder

I love fall. I love the smell of fire pits and burnt marshmallows. A woman I work with put it best when she said ideal weather is the kind that allows you to still wear shorts, but requires a big cozy sweater or sweatshirt. That is a perfect day indeed. Similarly, that day could be had with jeans, a long sleeved shirt and just a scarf. Because, in my opinion, if my neck is warm and cozy, then I'm warm and cozy. I've crocheted several scarves and I love the end result and yet I'm conflicted. How can I (spastic, hyperactive and fickle) get that scarf project down to something a bit sleeker and less time consuming. I know I didn't invent anything special, but it's still nice knowing that I came up with the idea on my own. Here it is, the curly-q scarflette:



I never actually write down any of my patterns, but I'm trying to get better. This one was really simple despite it's lovely little curls. Don't expect this to become a regular occurrence, but here's my attempt at a pattern:

  1. Gauge: Not important as long as it fits around your neck. I used a bulky weight acrylic with a J-sized hook.
  2. Row 1: ch 10, plus 1 turning ch.
  3. Row 2: 10 sc, chain out an additional 5 sts, plus one turning ch.
  4. Rows 3-60: 2 sc into each ch st, then 10 sc (one into each sc st), chain out an additional 5 sts, plus one turning ch.
  5. Row 61 (button holes): 2 sc into each ch st, then 2 sc, ch 2, skip 2 stitches and sc into next 2 sts, ch 2, skip 2 stitches and sc into next 2 sts, chain out an additional 5 sts, plus one turning ch.
  6. Rows 62-63: 2 sc into each ch st, then 10 sc (one into each sc st), chain out an additional 5 sts, plus one turning ch.
  7. Finishing edge: **2 sc into each ch st, 1 Sl st, chain out an additional 5 sts, plus one turning ch** repeat between the ** 3 more times and fasten. Weave in ends. Sew on buttons (mine are vintage from my grandmothers collection -- I find it honors her well).

2 comments:

chrissykeet said...

I love this scarf you made. I have to make one for me and my daughter.

kimberly cavallo said...

Just finished making this scarf. Very easy, turned out very nice. Thank you for sharing the pattern.